Saturday, January 31, 2009

*THE Talk*

We've been having chats about fertility since I was diagnosed with PCOS but had really put TTC on the back burner as we processed this new information/speed bump. We have been to our doctors, an RE, and classes at the local hospital. We haven't actually had an official "what we're going to do" talk. We had agreed to go on BCP until April when we would begin treatments with the RE but the RE made that recommendation and now DH and I have more information and it was time for us to reevaluate what is right for us. Hence THE Talk.

THE Talk was scheduled for Saturday but in true *T* fashion I simply couldn't wait. I offered to take DH out to a restaurant with adult beverages (aka liquid courage) Friday after work to discuss this weighty topic. I knew being at home would be too emotional and the distraction of being in public would help me stay calm.

2 margaritas into the night I asked him to tell me his thoughts. He took my hands and with all seriousness said "we will do whatever it takes to get a little baby, anything that you are comfortable with, but I need to know when we are going to put this behind us and begin living our life again." He let me come up with the deadline (4 years- now until September 2013) and I understand and was almost relieved to have a deadline in mind too. He's right- we need to say at some point that God didn't mean for us to bring children into this world even with the medical technology he's provided. If in 4 years we still don't have a child then it will be time to move on and begin accepting that our family is going to be us and all the dogs we can possibly love. And that will have to be ok. He did say that if by chance it just happens after 4 years we will be THRILLED, just in 4 years it will need to not be the focus of our life.

My part of the talk was more trying to hammer out things about logistics and trying to settle our religious beliefs with our desire for a child and what is too much for me. I think we have a plan in mind now but the saddest part of the chat was when we realized maybe we'd have to Google "how to get pregnant." because clearly neither of us knows how! lol we had a good laugh over that and I DID Google it the next day and today I am glad to say we are officially back on the babymaking train again. Happy February 1st!

1 comment:

the misfit said...

That sounds like a great talk. You did it way better than I did - I ranted about all the things that were in my head and my poor husband felt like he didn't get to have an opinion. A deadline sounds like a really good idea - I think for us, it's more like doing this much treatment and then if it doesn't work, we'll look into adoption, but if it just happens we'll be ecstatic. So pretty similar.

Either way, in four years you get a blessing in your life.