Thursday, January 15, 2009

Budget Cuts

I understand times are tough. There is NO doubt about that in my mind. Everyone is cutting corners and my state is no exception. Already school budgets have been cut significantly with some districts being cut as much as 2million dollars for THIS year. The state is not happy though and announced yesterday that they are also cutting stipends for nationally board certified teachers. I am going through this process this year.

The National Board process takes 1-3 years to complete and I am in my first year of working on my certification. It is time consuming, demanding but rewarding at the same time. I am becoming more reflective about my practice, thinking about the big picture more and really reflecting on my students' learning. No doubt I am becoming a better teacher. That is most of the reason I decided to embark on this voluntary (and extremely $2500 expensive experience). I am not above saying that I also did it for the $3000 incentive from my state. As teachers we are unable to change our salary unless we further our education. I have already obtained my master's degree and I was looking to forward my salary further as we embark on the baby making journey and to pad our bank account as we head for tough economic times.

I am just frustrated by the way that teachers are often undervalued as professionals. In an office environment if an employee went above and beyond typically they'd be rewarded. Pushing yourself, obtaining extra certifications is encouraged and celebrated. In teaching, you become more expensive and the focus on having the best, most well educated teachers for the students is lost. It seems like we work for our students and it's not valued in today's society.

OK Vent over- this is just really crappy timing what with my stress level over this certification and all. I know I will finish it and continue to do my job but occasionally I become frustrated with the state of things and priorities of government today.
Vent over for real now! :-)

No comments: