Saturday, January 31, 2009

Last Night's Posting...

I've gotten some interesting responses to my post last night and I'd like to respond.

First of all I am not going to apologize for my feelings about the news story about the Octuplets. I can feel mad, sad, jealous, outraged- my feelings are my own and they are what they are based on where I am in my life right now and the experiences I have had just as your opinions are your own as well. That being said...

I think of fertility treatments as science and it is something I view extremely seriously. I see fertility treatments as a lifesaver for couples (or a woman on her own who has thought through her options) battling with a heart wrenching journey to have children. In my opinion they are for people who want children and for whatever reasons are unable to have them the old fashioned, fun way without medical/scientific support. So (here it is) I do not believe that fertility treatments are best used for convenience.

"Geez I would really like to have a baby in May because that's just a great time to be pregnant" or "I'd like to have a large family and wouldn't it be easier to do in one fell swoop?" I do not believe that is the purpose for fertility treatments. I know that people may disagree with me but that is what I believe. I think that people who have NOT been told that they are broken and can't create life on their own even though that is all they've ever lived for, believe fertility treatments are for. In our instant gratification world some people are even trying to make having children and families a convienience and I am not sure that's God's plan for us. I know it is not His plan for me. Maybe I am wrong, but then I will answer for that with Him on Judgement Day.

Each woman and family needs to make their own decision but I couldn't let it stand that my opinion of yesterday was being challenged. I respect the woman who had the Octuplets decisions, and hope she made the right choice for her, her family, and the welfare of those babies but I don't have to agree with it or be happy with it and I am entitled to say that I am sad and jealous and shocked.

*This has NOTHING to do with selective reduction by the way-that's another post for another day but just FYI it's not something I'd ever be able to do but that's just me*

No comments: