Friday, January 30, 2009

Parental Controls (Internet Restrictions) for the Infertile

DH believes I should have restrictions on what I can view (read obsess) about on the internet. I tend to read, read, read on a subject (usually PCOS or fertility related). Sometimes I become educated, sometimes I become sad, sometimes I become indignant...

This week my internet reading has been about the lady who had octuplets. My first thought was, WOW that is amazing- WAY more kids than I can handle, but good for her and her husband to have a family after what was probably a long journey on the road of IF. Then the story broke that she already had 6 children of her own. I've been a little upset (read obsessed) with their story since then. Now I have no idea what the truth is but it seems to be the consensus in all the stories that the family does already have 6 children of their own. Now I am not usually one to judge and NEVER one to speak out about it but COME ON. I dunno I feel badly even writing this but I've had some liquid courage tonight (DH and I had our baby planning talk a day early- more to come on that tomorrow) and I am just mad that I can't even have one and some people have 14!!!!!!!!! Not only that but the fertility "experts" are all talking about the situation and many people who are uneducated are posting/publishing about how fertility treatments are bad and ignorant and lead to a litter of babies everytime.... I am just frustrated.

Ok time to put myself to bed, I am moving from the giggly phase to the pissed off phase very quickly- see this is when DH's internet controls would come in handy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand your frustration. What makes me mad is actually the fact that this mother (actually more so the doctor) is giving ART a bad name.

Have a good weekend!

the misfit said...

I have mixed feelings about this one. I always wanted 12 kids (I realize that's unlikely now) and I know people who have had that many or more, no fertility treatments needed (meaning they had them ONE AT A TIME). Oh, also some adopted a few disadvantaged kids. Most of the uber-large families I know also have the happiest children I know.

So while 14 is more than 12, I can't condemn the woman for having a large family. It's what she wanted, presumably, and if she can do it, that means there's hope for the rest of us (whatever number we're looking for).

If it were me, and I were going to use ART to have a very large family (which I may, though probably not in the same way), I definitely wouldn't INTENTIONALLY have them in two sets of 6 and 8, just because there's such a high risk of selective miscarriage with high-order multiples. It would seem selfish to me to endanger the lives of a few of my children so that I could increase the odds of a large number because that was what I wanted.

But what if that wasn't what she did? What if she knew it was likely that she'd have multiples (maybe twins or triplets), and she unexpectedly ended up with six and eight? Then, condemning her means either that she "should" have wanted no more than the first six (and I think there's nothing wrong with wanting more), or that she should have selectively aborted some of either the second batch or both batches. And I have a hard time seeing that as required to be a good mom.

Doing such an unusual degree of multiples does give ART sort of a fringe appearance, but I'm not sure her decisions should have been made from a PR perspective, especially since there are so many other odd things done with ART. I just hope that she was making decisions with regard to the best interests of her children.

Now, that's just a hope, because I can't claim to have invested the research time here that you did...