Sunday, February 22, 2009

Back to school?

Today is officially my last day of vacation but there are winter storm warnings for where I teach. Overnight they are expecting 6-10 inches of snow so I may have a bonus day. I do need to get back to work though because it turns out I am like the Japanese restaurant at the mall.

I told DH this and he asked me to explain....
See there is this Japanese place at our mall and they make wonderful teryaki chicken. The food is only good though when they are really busy. If it is a slow time of the day and there is no line, you're better off to go somewhere else. When the line is backed up however and they are plating lunches one after another, the food is wonderful and totally worth the wait. I am like the Japanese restaurant.

This week on vacation I have accomplished the bare minimum of what I had set out to do for school. The ammount of work I have done on my national board writing equals what I could have done in 15 minutes while my kids are at art. Everything about me took a vacation and the work I've produced is subpar. I am actually looking forward to getting back to work and being busy again so I have the motivation I need to get my work done.

The good news it that vacation allowed me to get some research done about PCOS and to formulate a baby making plan for the next few months. I began charting and reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility which was totally worth the $24.95. It was a successful vacation then in relation to my homelife but less so in respect to my job. Oh well, I will be back there and immersed in school tomorrow... or Tuesday if the storm hits like they are saying!

5 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

That's a great analogy, about the restaurant.

Good luck with the storm and with your baby making plan. May things go your way...

Stacie said...

Here from ICLW.

Great analogy. I am like that, too, and get absolutely nothing done during vacation. Get me to work again, and the fire is lit.

GOod luck on the NBs! That is a lot of work!

bunny said...

i'm a teacher too, and totally get the analogy. as much as i love vacation, going back to work and having a schedule is really nice, too (and helps me to be more normal and productive).

TCOYF is a great book. Hope it helps.

ICLW

KandiB said...

I'm the same way!! When work is "slow," I am absolutely worthless. When I'm under pressure I get TONS done and it usually turns out pretty good!

Take Charge is a great book. I thought I knew about reproduction and being "female" until I read that. Then I found out I knew absolutely NOTHING!! Let me know if you questions about PCOS. I'm not an expert, but have learned a little. ICLW

Jessica White said...

Hope you got the extra day off. I agree, that there are times when I've taken off from work and plan to be productive and I'm not. I get more done when I have a lot going on.

ICLW