Sunday, June 7, 2009

Weekend Update (NOT SNL and probably not funny)

This weekend was full of graduation parties and the further coming out of our pregnancy. DH didn't go to many of the parties as he's still recovering from surgery but I made appearances, usually with my mother.

It was nice to catch up with old friends and to make some new ones. I know we're all grown up but I still think of these graduates as kids even though many of them can drink and they're all driving. What bothered me the most was when people would ask "was the pregnancy planned?" or "are you glad?" or worse, would say something like "Oh no, there goes the rest of your life..."

First of all I am 28 years old and married, it's not as if I am 18 and single. Of course we are glad (did you not get that when I clapped as I told you?!), of course we understand our lives will change but we are confident it will be for the better. After I got done being offended at these blase comments, I got to thinking about how sad it would be if I ever answered no to them or agreed that all my fun would be over. And how tragic (yes I do mean tragic) it is that there are some parents who feel this way...

1 comment:

the misfit said...

Wow - that's sort of the other side of the looking glass from the people who constantly pester about when we're going to have kids because they need to reinforce that our lives must be meaningless until we get cracking on that.

Why would they think you *wouldn't* be happy? And what would it matter if it were "planned" or not? Also, what would make that their business?