Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Religion Delima

I thought I was all done worrying about religion and this baby but a whole new set of issues have cropped up. These are not the moral dilemmas I was wrestling with a few months ago about how far we'd let God handle the baby issue and how far we'd let science intervene but it is an issue at this point in our lives....

No one we know is really Catholic anymore. In our day to day world this is not an issue but raising our child in the church is something extremely important to me. Our sisters have all chosen other spiritual paths down which to walk, we have Christian friends but few Catholic friends (none of whom are particularly close). Both of our parents are but they're our parents not Godparents. People at church are nice.... but it's just not the same.

When I was growing up EVERYONE was involved with the church and that was a center of our social world. The irony is that all ended when I entered Catholic High School.... our community church played a lesser role and school served as the main focus of religion from then out.

Perhaps I am making too big a deal of this but it is important to me that our child is baptized and raised with religion. DH and I are both Catholic and I thank my stars for that because I do believe religion shapes who you become and your views. Having similar (actually it turns out we went to the same church growing up) backgrounds helps us to understand where we're coming from in some instances.... I want a strong foundation and relationship with God for our child... it just seems to be more of a challenge than we had anticipated. I know it will come together but I was sort of surprised when I looked around my little world and found very few Catholics where once there were many.

No comments: