Thursday, March 12, 2009

He tried....

Last night when I posted I was in the middle of a right good breakdown. I vacillated between hysterical crying and laughter due to my current level of stress. (Yes I did bring about a considerable amount of stress upon myself...) Well DH wanted to go out to the mall and pick up some things and I refused to leave the house so he called his mother and they went out together...

He came home with a flourish of "I got you a present..." I smiled because I was trying to be nice and make up for my craziness just hours before. He pulled out a giant book called Skippyjon Jones for my classroom. He laughed out loud telling me it's about a Siamese cat who thinks it's a Chihuahua. He was right it was hilarious and we laughed as we read it to Patek because he is siamese.

I love children's literature. My master's is in ECE Literacy and that is my certificate area for NBPT. After we finished giggling over the antics of Skippyjon he said he got me another present but this one was for the house. and he pulls THIS out...

I just stared at him. I was trying to be nice but honestly- a book about being pregnant to read to our unborn child? And that is just how he presented it to me... "honey you can read this to the baby as soon as you know you're pregnant. It's our baby's first book." (Actually Walter the Farting Dog was our baby's first book but I think my mother donated it to the library after she read the phrase "rectal flatulance" and decided she didn't want those to be the baby's first words)
I thanked him for the book but with a real ache in my heart. I know he was doing something kind and nice for me and trying to cheer me up but it left me this empty feeling and pervasive sadness thinking about how this book will be old and dusty before I'll ever get to read it to anyone but us...

No comments: