Friday, May 8, 2009

Teacher Appreciation

This week was teacher appreciation week. To all of you out there who are teachers, Happy Teacher Week! I hope you felt appreciated and enjoyed your kiddos this week.

My school PTO usually does quite a bit for teacher week. One day they cook us lunch, they usually have raffles with EXCELLENT prizes, they have some kind of snack, treat, or prize every single day. The fun never stops. This year was different- lower key but we still were celebrated in big ways. Today though, I got the best appreciation of all...

One of my students (I teach K mind you) wrote me a letter. It said "Dear Mrs. G, Thank you for being a great teacher. You are nice. Thank you for giving me the *ook in wookie. I appreciate all that you do."

In tears I thanked him, it was such a nice gesture that his parents had him write me a note. They actually wrote one of their own that also reduced me to tears (damn hormones). His parents insisted they didn't help him with his message, they only helped him spell a couple of the tricky words. Amazing.

As teachers we know (and hope) in our hearts that our work is valuable and that we are good at it, but rarely do we get recognized and thanked. I have every thank you note I've ever received from a parent (except one that my dog chewed that had been on my refrigerator for 4 years). It's so nice to know that your hours both in and outside of the classroom do not go unnoticed or unappreciated. I felt extremely appreciated this week and I hope that you all did too. With all that we deal with as women it's nice to know someone thinks we do a good job.

*The ook in wookie means when we were doing the ook chunk the other day I gave him a challenge of a work with ook in the middle- he's a HUGE Star Wars fan like my husband.

No comments: