Friday, May 15, 2009

Exhasuted by the weekend arelady!

This weekend both of DH's sisters are graduating. One is graduating from graduate school and one is graduating with her nursing degree. I feel the stark differences between our two families strongly when there are major events like this...

I graduated with my master's degree a year ago. It was a big deal but NO ONE in DH's family could make the 2 hour drive to either one of my ceremonies. They sent e-mail congrats but couldn't make it. My immediate family came in addition to a grand-mother and an aunt. It was a big deal for my family and they made it really special for me.

This year with both his sister's graduating it was NO question that we'd be making the 3 hour drive to see one of them graduate tomorrow and spend all day Sunday watching the other one graduate. It's family, that's what you do. It comes out tonight that DH doesn't want to go to either graduation and he doesn't see the purpose. We are the only people besides his mother who said we'd go and support them. Not only do I feel obligated that SOMEONE cheer them on but like I said, it's FAMILY THAT'S WHAT YOU DO!!!!!

Just venting right now as DH is on his way home and I already know he's going to begin complaining about the drive tomorrow and sitting through two graduations. Grrrrr. I am determined to stay positive through the weekend and support them even though they did not support me.... I am going to set an example of how family works. I hope it's not for nothing.

1 comment:

the misfit said...

Even if they learn nothing from your example, YOU'RE being good family and that's what's important. And, of course, you have to start building good habits in your DH now - he's going to have his OWN family to set an example for soon!