Sunday, October 19, 2008

American Wife

This book American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld has consumed me today. I walked by it in Borders, and being the frugal gal I am, requested it at my local library. I've been waiting over a month for it to come in and it has not disappointed me. The only reason I have a moment to blog about it now is because I was interrupted by my sister's 25th birthday party and I've only just returned....

There was one line that struck me though.... "I'd traded friendship for romance, companionship for a husband..." Talking about choosing her to be husband over her best friend. The reason that got to me was because this happened to bme 2 years ago. Almost 2 years ago exactly infact. To be honest I never really took time to reflect upon what happened with my friend, but I knew with certainty that my DH was the person I was to be with for the rest of my life and if H couldn't be supportive, then I no longer wanted her in my life.... Reading today though made me reflect on the whole situation- now where I am in my life could we become friends again? Was there another way to have my DH and friend too? Hmmmmmm....

No comments: