Monday, April 12, 2010

Daycare Vent

First I want to begin by saying I LOVE G's daycare. They are so sweet there. Take excellent care of here, are always happy to talk with me when I call and indulge me when I am worried about something even if it is a sniffle. I couldn't be happier.... well that's not 100% true because then I wouldn't have a vent but I promise this is it.

I am a teacher. We have a few more vacations than the average joe. It's the perfect mom job. Well during our interview I *thought* I heard the lady say, you do have to pay us for school vacations but we expect you to keep her home. I thought, no big deal, I DO intend to keep her home, I might send her one day a vacation so I can get some things done but ABSOLUTELY I want to keep her home. Well we have vacation next week and I have an appointment Thursday.... I have asked every week for the last month if they could tell me a day she could attend so I could schedule this. I hadn't heard so I just did it. Today I mentioned it again and they were wishy-washy again. I understand they let their afterschool kids come all day over break so their numbers are higher, but I am still paying for a full time slot and I can't even send her for 4 hours 1 day?!

DH and I talked about it and we view it like this... if we choose not to send her, then ABSOLUTELY we owe them money. No worries about that, but if they refuse to take her for an entire week do we really have to pay? I get their vacations 2 weeks a year, fine but it feels like I am being taken advantage of because I am a teacher. I already suffer with long hours and low pay, no budget, and this year no raise since we are in a contract issue and now I have to pay additional vacation weeks and I cannot send her?

I love them. I REALLY do. They take fab care of G but today I'm a little miffed about money. I see it from their pov but still. Am I totally off my rocker??

No comments: