Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Daycare Troubles

Daycare went great for about a week...

I don't know if I shared on this blog but before we sent G to daycare DH called to talk with them about her start date and one of the daycare providers was out and would call us back. I asked DH if that meant there was just one adult with all those kids... he of course didn't know.

I knew I needed to find out but I was afraid of the answer (yes I know, terrible mommy). I thought about it all weekend and was going to ask Monday but the opportunity presented itself...

I got to daycare at my regular time (4:15) and came through the front door as usual. D called down "Who's here?" And I called back "G's Mommy!" I went upstairs and there were at least 8 kids running around the upstairs not to mention my baby in his arms. Usually the second daycare provider is also there but she was no where to be found. So I asked.... Where is K? And he replied "She had a Dr appointment." I packed up G and we left. I called DH and was upset...the law in Maine says that 1 provider can have no more than 6 children at a time and no more than 2 of those children can be under 2 1/2. D had 8 kids and AT LEAST 4 of them are under 2 1/2... I was not happy. OH and my MIL shared with me that she thought it was weird because K took a class with her at noon time 1 day a week... she thought it was odd that K was at pilates pilates and not at daycare.

Today I began looking for new daycare. She had to go back there and will need to be there until we find something else but I am disappointed. THey are SO nice and EVERYONE past and present customers LOVE them. They've always had top ratings in safety... but they are out of compliance with the state regulations. Those regulations are there for a reason. What if something were to happen with only one provider there and I knew this was their practice and could have prevented it. So G is going to find a new daycare to attend.

But just because people are nice and others are willing to trust their children to them, doesn't mean that I have to be comfortable.... I need to do what's right for baby G and our family.

No comments: