Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bittersweet at 8 weeks...

This has been the toughest "birthday" for me yet. I've been dreading the 8 week mark not for a growth spurt, not because it puts me closer to going back to work.... no I was dreading the 8 week mark because to me it means she's all grown up.

Yes, I know that sounds slightly crazy but let me explain. When I was a child (yes a child) I always loved kids. I was THE babysitter in the neighborhood, taking the Red Cross babysitting course, starting out at age 9 as a mother's helper then 10 as a "real" babysitter. When I was 11 my neighbor had a baby boy. I had already babysat many times for her 4 year old daughter and I could not wait to get my hands on that baby!! Well they promised me when he turned 8 weeks old, I could take care of him. True to their word, when he was 8 weeks old, they went out to dinner and left myself and one of my friends in charge of the 8 week old baby and his sister.... Now my own baby is 8 weeks old and I CANNOT imagine leaving her with anyone besides my husband or one of our parents, let alone an 11 year old child.

So this morning at G's 4am feeding I cried for her being all grown up. I know she's still my little baby, but this was a big milestone for me.

G celebrated 8 weeks with her own milestone today- she rolled over front to back during tummy time! She was so excited she promptly threw up all over the couch. She's now sleeping off the excitement. I can't wait for her to wake up and roll over again. Here we go, step one in being mobile!

No comments: