Sunday, April 26, 2009

When did you swallow the watermellon seed?

That was the question asked to me last night by a five year old child. That was my first experience with sex ed and made me worry what I am in for in the future!

We had a bonfire last night and among other friends, DH's best friend came over with his daughter and his gf last night. His daughter is 5 which makes us best friends since I teach kindergarten. Sometimes however I enjoy hanging out with the grownups which this child just cannot comprehend.

She was having me haul branches to the fire with her and I had just about had enough so I sat her down and said "Did daddy tell you that I am growing a baby right now? The baby needs my energy so I need to rest right now." She just shook her head no, took me by the hand (I agreed to take ONE last load) and as we walked away she asked "so when did you swallow the watermellon seed?" Ahhhhh if only it had been that simple. I didn't know what to say! When I asked her father he said that's how her real mother explains it... this is a woman who has half a dozen kids by a few different men. When DH's best friend came home from Iraq she was pregnant with another man's child... Clearly this woman is mixed up about the reproductive process! You'd think she'd just stop buying watermellons!!

1 comment:

the misfit said...

WOW. The fun thing is, when this kid finds out the truth in just a few years, she's going to think her mother's a liar - and a tramp. Good planning, mom. Poor kid.