Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What a day (PG Ment.)

Today was our heartbeat appointment. The doctors estimated me at 11w1d based on my last period (NO ONE LISTENED ABOUT PCOS). So today we went to my OB to hear the heartbeat. We couldn't find it. Trying hard not to panic the doctor sent us immediately to get an ultrasound. We tried to stay calm and DH held my hand the whole way there and kept saying "well now we know we can get pregnant, we will try again as soon as they let us if things don't work out..."

We went in for the US and we saw the baby IMMEDIATELY! I am not as far along as they thought (hmmm maybe now people will listen to me about my irregular periods). I am estimated 9w3d based on length of little Goober. It was amazing to see it and to hear the heartbeat. I just cried and cried. It made it real even though I know we're not out of the woods yet. They printed two pictures for us (will post at a later time). Now we are due November 21 (looks like a turkey!!). But what a relief. My doctor even called me this afternoon to confirm that I understood everything and I will go back in a 3 more weeks to try to hear the heart again.

This whole thing has just felt so surreal and I've been waiting for someone to tell me it's a trick but today I saw it with my own eyes (I've been feeling the effects for a few weeks now) and we saw and heard the heartbeat and saw our Goober move. Although I understand that we are still in the first trimester and have a long way to go, today made it so much more real.

2 comments:

the misfit said...

Congratulations - that's wonderful news. (They always trot out the most DRAMATICALLY scary shenanigans for the people with fertility issues, don't they?)

Also, your post reminds me of something I've been noticing - everyone nicknames their in utero children, and the nicknames all mean about the same thing ("small weird-shaped cute thing," approximately). When I first observed this, I thought I'd quickly start seeing repeats - how many different ways to say this can there be? - but I haven't. Where is the wellspring of endless nicknames for the unborn? Maybe you don't get to find it until you conceive one of your own...

K.T. said...

So glad you were crying tears of joy! I bet that was so exciting to see the little one!