Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

DH left, Fred Right

Happy Veteran's Day and THANK YOU to all the veterans out there. We would not have all the opportunities we have today if not for those who fought for our rights and our country.

I am sad to say that growing up Veteran's Day was little more than a day off to me. Sure I heard about the Gulf War but I had no schema for that sort of thing and I never really thought about it. I didn't know anyone who was directly involved so I just enjoyed having a day off each November. Then I met Fred...

Fred is my husband's best friend. For the first 6 months we dated I was sure that Fred was a figment of DH's imagination. I hadn't met Fred, heard from Fred, seen a picture of him or had any evidence that he existed except for the stories DH told. Considering those stories it's a wonder I ever did meet Fred! For the first 6 months of our relationship Fred was in Iraq on his second tour of duty.

I met Fred once on a trip home and he was friendly and welcomed me into the family with open arms, but he was back overseas in a matter of days. I remember one Saturday I was home cleaning my apartment and the phone rang- it was Fred from Iraq. I shouted through the entire conversation convinced that he couldn't hear me and the time delay totally messed me up but he had gotted DH's e-mail that we were engaged and he promised to be home in time for the wedding which was good because DH said there was no way we could get married unless Fred was the best man.

Fred has now been home about 14 months and in that time I have gotten to know him and love him like a brother. He is now one of my best friends too. Fred is planning to return to Iraq in 2010 for his third tour of duty. Fred is the first veteran I have known so well. Bless his heart, he listens patiently to all my questions about the war and will answer them to the best of his ability. We may not always agree on his answers but I have learned from Fred that it takes a really special person to serve their country. Our soilders and veterans have a belief in this country and in what is right that does not waiver. I can't imagine where we would be today with out people like him.

Fred has made my life better by being a part of it, and I know that he and thousands of others like him have made all of our lives better.
Thank you for serving our country.

No comments: