Friday, August 28, 2009

Back to school!

Teachers went back this week. It was busy but nice at the same time to be doing something. I have enjoyed each day of doing nothing that I have taken for myself this last month but it was nice to be getting back into the swing of things. (It helped that lots of my pretty new budget stuff was in!)

I just forget each year how draining it is to make the transition back to school. It's no secret that I am having an exceptionally hard time with it this year... new teaching assignment, newly restructured district, new administration, new team to be working on, and all while my home life is changing to add a baby. School is usually my constant and this year it's been all up in the air. Luckily I have wonderful friends and coworkers who are supporting me through it, but each day is work to get through with my positive attitude in tact.

I am trying so hard to be the positive sunny teacher I've always been but am struggling. The class I have coming in is challenging, I worked with many of these children last year. I am teaching on a team who has philosophically different views about teaching and learning than I do, and they are vocal. (For example they are the only team in the district who refuses to take on any new initiatives) I am frightened, going into our new district merger, that I will be lumped in with them as a hold out, whiner, and PITA. My administration tells me they understand that this was an involuntary move for me and that they know who I am as a teacher and professional, but I am still beyond stressed that people see I am part of that team.

There is also the small matter of my maternity leave. Unfortunately is is prohibiting me from taking on the leadership roles I was set up to take this year. Although I am right now living for my maternity leave (only 3 months of this challenging class) I am frustrated that my hands feel tied professionally. I am unable to take on the committees and teams I would normally be a part of because of my (hopefully 12 week) absence.

I may only teach first grade but I know when you add up all those things together, you get a hormonal mess of tears each night at home (and once at school this week) and a woman who is having a hard time finding her feet (not because my belly is so big either) as a teacher, mother to be and wife. I hope all the new school stuff settles down and I can adjust but either way, 3 months until the Goober is born!! I can do anything for 3 months.... right?

No comments: